Thursday 29 November 2012

More Merry Making

This is what i made with the hexies i mentioned a couple of posts ago........the ones i took to london with me to sew if i got a spare moment or two...... i sewed up the hexies into a flower shape, made a matching one for the back, sewed the two sides together and padded the decoration with toy filling.........i decided to make the little decoration even more festive by adding a red applique star in the middle...............
............and some jingle bells.................. 
..........everyone here liked the red and green hexie decoration with the star in the centre so i decided to make a red and white one too, using much smaller hexies............it is such a good way of using up very tiny scraps of sweet fabrics............nothing goes to waste with little projects like these...............
...........i will probably add some silver jingle bells to these and a little more handstitching to the liberty floral and pink dot  hexie decoration shown below.........
 ............besides hanging them on my red and white themed christmas tree i am thinking they would be nice to tie on the outside of a gift or to hang on a gift bag handle as an extra handmade touch, and to be kept as an ornament by the recipient............you could also make them in vintage sheet fabrics or in bright jewel colours with lots of metallic thread embroidery..............
                              ..............here they are hanging on my dresser at the moment..............
.......and at night hanging in the kitchen where the fairy lights have magically appeared just as we are about to step in to december, and just as the satsumas always do too :)....................... below right is a picture of the last of my new christmas hearts, this time made from a lovely bright red pam kitty morning floral, with a shiny green jingle bell, rubber stamp image and mistletoe sprig made from green felt and a white button...........
...........this week we celebrated my lovely mr p's birthday........ i gave him some brown paper packages tied up with string and adorned with special tags from old motor magazines that i found in my scrapbook supplies stash..........he had a delicious birthday cake made by sarah.............he also had some yummy homemade biscuits to enjoy ;)............yes, i did use my new cookie stamp .....................
............it worked  quite well...... these are the test ones, so i now know to press the cookie stamp quite firmly to make the word impression clear but not so hard that the cookie needs to be prised off the board with a palette knife and becomes stretched and misshapen ............home made means a bit quirky, yes?
..........some gorgeous roses given to me by daisy (as a thank you for looking after her for a few hours).....they look so fresh and beautiful and i combined them with some of the amazing  hydrangeas from the garden which are turning so many wonderful shades of soft red, pale green and lavender...........

...........thank you for dropping by to see me here, it is always wonderful to have your visits .......i am going to do some blog visiting myself now :)......i hope you all enjoy a very happy weekend as we enter the most festive month of the year.....................back soon xxxxxxxxx

41 comments:

Teje Karjalainen said...

Dear Helen, what a wonderful idea! I love your little hexagon decorations! Perfect idea for tiny scraps and to make English paper piecing. Lovely and sweet photos as always! Have a wonderful weekend and December! x Teje

Kay said...

Lovely. I make pincushions like this but really love the bells added to make decorations.

Tangled Sweetpea said...

Beautiful, I love the colourful jingle bells! And the cookies look fabulous too!
Victoria xx

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Such a wonderful idea for those little leftovers, that we just can't throw away!! I Your cookies using your press are so yummy and pretty too. Love the pink roses too!!

my4lilgirls said...

Love the hexie ornaments, such a fab idea, really lovely.
Just made some cookies with Ella school bake sale tomorrow, yours look yum :)
Karen x

My Little Home and Garden said...

The little decorations are wonderful and certainly would dress up a present. I find I'm craving more red and white this year; that must mean December is just around the corner.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend, Helen.

-Karen

Annie Cholewa said...

What a clever use for little left-over bits of fabric, and so pretty.

Happy Birthday to Mr P! (I do like those parcel tags :) )

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Happy Birthday to Mr P!
Such lovely, festive treasures! :)

Henry's Shed said...

Oh how funny! I have been doing the same little hexagon decorations with some Christmas fabrics! Will have to get some pictures up on my blog! xx

Anonymous said...

Your little hexie decorations are lovely and the little coloured bells are so cute. :)
Your biscuits turned out really well!
And as always beautiful flowers. Belated happy birthday to Mr P. :)
Have a lovely festive weekend Helen,
Vivienne x

Gerda said...

Love the hexie decorations, very inspiring. Love your Greengate china too. Groetjes, Gerda

Jane said...

Glad Mr P had a fun birthday Helen, the cookie stamp was great.Enjoy the weekend too. Your sweet scrap projects could jingle on your tree,
Jane x

Deborah said...

Your hexies are so delightful...inspiring me to make some for our tree! Yummy biscuits!

Cindy said...

This is a great new idea for those cute little hexxies! And the cookies look so good:)

homemade@myplace said...

Really beautiful!!! I love the little bells : a lovely festive touch for sure!!!
Have a great week, xxx Ale

Gracie Saylor said...

Your hydrangeas are beautiful! Have you tried to dry hydrangeas, Helen? Before my daughter's wedding we tried to dry some hydrangeas to use for her wedding. They are bright blue and I have them in a bouquet in our front entryway, although we did not use them for the wedding. Thanks for letting us enjoy seeing some of your latest sewing and cooking projects...pretty, yummy and happy B'day to Mr. P :) xx from Gracie

Frances said...

Helen, thank you for showing us how your original hexi bauble encouraged you to try a slightly smaller version with red and white in play.

Really wonderful results...I also like the the tiny jingle bells. Now...how will I find some extra minutes to cut out some hexi templates and get going with my own stitchin. I am full of lots of inspiration, but with lots of projects already underway, just wonder where I will find extra time to launch some more fun!

It's a sweet dilemma. xo

vintage grey said...

Hi Helen! Your hexie stars are so adorable!! Love the jingle bells and the pretty prints!! So creative! Happy Birthday to Mr. P! ;) Your homemade biscuits are so cute and they look yummy! Have a great weekend! xo Heather

Teresa Kasner said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Philipps from Oregon! I adore your hexie ornaments.. you're so clever! Don't you love this season?
****************************************
*H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
****************************************
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Naturally Carol said...

I think red and white is my new favourite Christmas combination so you have fulfilled my eye candy quota with those gorgeous hexie decorations. I love the way those little jingle bells sound..such a cute little tinkle!

Crafted by Carly said...

They're great! You can't beat red and white for Christmas!!!
Carly
x
P.S. The bells add a bit of Christmassy magic! :-)

gilly said...

I'm always SO inspired by your posts and all your gorgeous makes. LOVE your little hexie decs! I'm doing red & cream decor this year - can't wait for tomorrow to start putting all the decs out :-)
Have a lovely weekend,
xx

Rubyred said...

Hello Helen
your hexies are gorgeous, so cute with a little star in the middle, very festive!
Rachel x

Marja Rijnsburger said...

Great idea.
I love the colours.
Have a lovely weekend.
Marja
xxx

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Hi Sweet Helen, I do love your jingle hexies and stars! What a great ornament for any location to add a bit of color and jolly. Happy Birthday to your HB, loved your tag and wrapping, cookies, and lovely flowers. How great to have your granddaughter for a few hours : )
I think we are all in the process of decorations, enjoy your weekend festivities.
Always love my visit to see what's going on in your world, xoRobin❤

KC'sCourt! said...

The cookies look yummy! May I have one...?
I love those hexies very christmassy
Julie xxxxxxxx

trish said...

Aw. Helen those ornaments are so sweet!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to Mr P, those biscuits look lovely i think the stamp worked brilliantly. I love the hexagon stars those are so pretty what a smashing idea. I may have to make some to. Have a lovely weekend, dee x

Ella said...

Hello Helen
I saw the books you've written and i think they're amazing
Please comment on my blog
Thanks Ella xxx

Siobhán said...

Happy birthday to Mr. Philipps! :) I just love the hexagon projects that you've done, what a clever idea! Beautiful jug with flowers, too. I'm a sucker for pottery and that looks lovely.

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

Happy December Helen! You always inspire me to make something cute every time I pop in! xoxo

Jilly said...

Lovely ideas and lovely material. The biscuits look really great as well, the stamp works so well!
Jilly

Madelief said...

Lovely Christmas decorations Helen! Where do you find the time to make all those beautiful things :-)! Your cookies look delicious too!

Wish you a lovely new week!

Madelief x

Madelief said...

Lovely Christmas decorations Helen! Where do you find the time to make all those beautiful things :-)! Your cookies look delicious too!

Wish you a lovely new week!

Madelief x

koralee said...

Such pretty merry making you have been up to around the house..you talented girl you! Happy Birthday to the MR...he looks like he was spoiled..what I wouldn't do for one of those cookies!
Reminds me I must get my baking done soon. Happy creative week to you.

Mia said...

Lovely decorations, Helen! I love the idea of using even the smallest fabric scraps and making them to last as decorations! And those homemade-homemade :) cookies looks wonderful too, that stamp is just great!

Wishing you the loveliest Dececmber!

Yours,
Mia

flowers on my table said...

Hello Helen, your jug of roses and hydrangea is stunning. I am amazed that your hydrangea have not turned brown, they have all done so here.
Your little hexxies are lovely. I especially like the addition of the little bells. Lovely as always. Much love, Linda x

gillyflower said...

Just loving the little hexie hangers you've made - simply gorgeous!!!
Gill xx

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Hello Helen...Your decorations are beautiful and I love both colour combinations too (the red and white ones look so pretty hanging on your dresser!)
Those cookies look delicious..I'm suddenly feeling very festive with this visit!
I've just been reading your previous post Helen as I'm doing a little catch up and your quilted needlebook is so pretty...(I love the little polka dot scissors too!)
Hope you are having a great week,
Susan x
P.S Happy Belated Birthday wishes to Mr.P!

claire said...

your house seems all nice and cosy with fairy lights, decorations and the smell of home baking :) yum

GardenOfDaisies said...

Merry making, indeed! I love the ornaments with the jingle-bells attached. Your fabrics are all so cheerful.